Jump to global Navigation
Nuremberg Kultur (Shortcut: 0)
Information about the Former Nazi Party Rally Grounds
1. Stations 2. Gallery

20. March Field Station

Model of the camp station March Field

Model of the camp station March Field (Documentation Centre).

Additional railway lines and stops were needed for transport of Party Rally participants to events and to their accommodation. The March Field Station was to play a central part in this effort. It was first opened in 1938. The stop mainly served the tent camps and barracks for the participating NS organisations. The station remained incomplete.

Page Up

Polish prisoners of war in the camp south of March Field

Polish prisoners of war in the camp south of March Field (Stadtarchiv Erlangen).

Former March Field Station in January 2006

Former March Field Station in January 2006 (Presseamt Nuremberg).

After the beginning of the war in 1939, March Field Station was used for transporting prisoners of war to and from the camp. They were interned in extremely cramped conditions in the prisoner of war camp on the Party Rally Grounds. Thousands of them, particularly Soviet prisoners of war, died due to planned destitution, hunger and murder. Foreign workers and forced labourers were also housed in camps on the grounds. Work done by the prisoners of war and forced labourers included war production and clearing the rubble after air raids.

Page Up

Deportation to Izbica, 1942

Deportation to Izbica, 1942 (Ernst Gortner).

During World War II, the racially motivated anti-Semitism of the NS regime led to the Holocaust: the systematic organised genocide of European Jews. For 2,000 Jews from Franconia, the March Field Station was the starting point for their transport to the extermination camps. The two major transports departed on 29 November, 1941, to Jungfernhof concentration camp near Riga (Latvia), and on 24 March, 1942, to Izbica near Lublin (Poland) with about 1,000 people each. 2,373 Nuremberg citizens known by name were murdered during the persecution of the Jews by the National Socialists. In 1957, the station was renamed Langwasser station, and in 1988, passenger services to this stop were discontinued.

<< Previous | Next >>

 

Page Up Print