1. Documentation Centre
In the north wing (bottom of photo) of the Congress Hall, the Documentation Centre can be seen (Documentation Centre).
Design for the Documentation Centre by Günther Domenig.
In 1994, the City of Nuremberg decided to create a Documentation Centre in the Congress Hall. In 1998, the Austrian architect, Günther Domenig, won the architects’ competition. With his concept, he adopted a counter-stance to the National Socialist construction pattern. A corridor of glass and steel pierces the north wing of the Congress Hall like a stake, thus creating a symbol of opposition to the stone monumentalism of National Socialism. The Documentation Centre Party Rally Grounds was opened on 4 November, 2001.
Interior view of the Documentation Centre Party Rally Grounds (2006) (Presseamt Nuremberg).
The focal point of the Documentation Centre Party Rally Grounds is the permanent exhibition “Fascination and Terror”. It explains the causes and consequences of the criminal misuse of power of the National Socialist state (1933–1945). A Study Forum offers in-depth discussions and seminars, as well as study and project days, and guided tours of the Rally Grounds. A cinema and two large halls are available for temporary exhibitions and events.