5. Dutzendteich lake
Lighthouse on Dutzendteich lake, seen from the Park Café Wanner, before 1938 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
Dutzendteich lake was created in the 14th century as a water reservoir. Its name is most probably derived from “Dutze”, a medieval word for reed. The Dutzendteich area has been a favourite destination for outings since the 19th century. For the 1906 Bavarian State Exhibition, a lighthouse was built on the opposite bank as a further attraction. An elevator took visitors up to a viewing platform.
Model of the façade in front of the shell of the Congress Hall, 1938 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
Although it was never completed, the Congress Hall gives an insight into the dimensions of NS Party Rally architecture. Popular leisure facilities, such as the public swimming baths and the 1906 lighthouse were demolished. Part of the expanse of water of the Dutzendteich lake had to be drained. The laying of foundations for the construction was extravagant and extremely costly.
Water sports on Dutzendteich lake, 2005 (Jutta Missbach).
After 1945, the City of Nuremberg re-established the function of the grounds as a recreation area and had the Dutzendteich leisure park re-created. This included the Luitpold Grove, the grounds of the former zoo, and the site of the planned German Stadium. Today, the area is used for a wide variety of sports and leisure activities.