19. March Field
Model of the planned March Field (Documentation Centre).
Architect Albert Speer designed the March Field as an arena for Wehrmacht manoeuvres (with 955 x 610 meters interior area, making it larger than 80 football pitches). The March Field was named after the ancient God of War, Mars, and to commemorate the re-introduction of conscription in March 1935. Up until 1939, 11 of 24 planned March Field towers had been finished. They divided the visitors‘ stands surrounding the March Field. The entire complex was to provide space for about 250,000 people. A group of colossal statues, incorporating a Goddess of Victory and warriors, was planned for the central grandstand.
Blowing up of a tower on March Field on 24 April, 1967 (Nürnberger Nachrichten).
Thousands of homes were needed because of the destruction caused by World War II. Starting in 1957, the city began to build the new suburb of Langwasser on the south-eastern part of the former Party Rally Grounds. This was then the largest building programme for any city in the Federal Republic. The 11 towers on March Field were thereupon blown up in 1966/67. Today, about 35,000 people live in the Langwasser district.
Aerial view of Langwasser (2006) with the still visible contours of the south-eastern part of the Party Rally Grounds (March Field, SA camp) (Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern).