18. Great Street
View from the south onto the Great Street, with full scale models of the March Field towers in the foreground, 1937 (Documentation Centre).
Architect Albert Speer had designed the Great Street to be the central axis of the Party Rally Grounds. It is 60 metres wide and was to be 2 kilometres long. Between 1935 and 1939, only 1,5000 metres were actually built, with 60,000 granite slabs. On both sides of the Great Street, there were stands for spectators. Architect Albert Speer aligned the Great Street with the Imperial Castle in the Old Town, in order to create a symbolic link between Nuremberg as the city of the imperial diets and Nuremberg as the “City of the Party Rallies”.
Aerial view of the Great Street under construction, seen from the north, 1938 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
It was largely completed by 1939. After the beginning of World War II on 1 September, 1939, no more party rallies were held. The unfinished street was never used as a marching ground.
The Great Street during construction, with the wooden model of the Congress Hall façade in the background, 1938 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
Overhaul of the Great Street (Nürnberger Nachrichten).
US plane on the Great Street, with the Congress Hall in the background (Geschichte Für Alle e.V.).
After the end of the war, the US Army used the Great Street as a temporary air field. Since 1968, the area has served as a car park during major events. From 1991–1995, an overhaul was carried out within the restrictions of the protection of his torical monuments. The granite slabs were partly restored, partly renewed, and a third of the area was concreted.
View of the Great Street, looking north, with the Imperial Castle in the background, 2006 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).