11. Luitpold Grove
Luitpold Grove in 1930, the water tower to the right, and the Luitpold Hall in the background (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
The City of Nuremberg created the Luitpold Grove on the occasion of the 1906 Bavarian State Exhibition. The park was named after the Bavarian Prince Regent, Luitpold (1821–1912). As early as in 1927 and 1929, the NSDAP held its party rallies here and in the inner city, events staged for the presentation of the party and glorification of its “Führer”, Adolf Hitler.
“Consecration of standards” in the Luitpold Arena , 1936 (Documentation Centre).
In 1933, the National Socialists had the Luitpold Grove re-modelled into a built-up meeting arena with stands for 50,000 spectators for their Party Rallies. Massed parades of NS organisations such as the SA and the SS with up to 150,000 participants took place here. The climax was the ritual of the commemoration of the dead. The staged event ended with the “consecration” of new flags and standards.
The Luitpold Grove and the Congress Hall, 1965 (Bischof & Broel, Nuremberg).
Klassik Open Air 2000 in Luitpold Grove (Mile Cindric).
After 1945, the City of Nuremberg re-modelled the area back to a park again. The Luitpold Arena, partly destroyed in World War II, was demolished. Since 2000, there have been annual open air classical concerts in Luitpold Grove.