10. Luitpold Hall
Interior view of Luitpold Hall before re-modelling by the NS regime (Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg).
Original façade of Luitpold Hall (Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg).
On the occasion of the 1906 Bavarian State Exhibition, the MAN company (Vereinigte Maschinenfabriken Augsburg und Nuremberg) had a hall erected (180 x 49 metres) for the presentation of large machines. The industrial construction made from glass and steel, had an Art Nouveau type facade. It was named after the Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold (1821–1912) and continued to be used as an exhibition and events venue after 1906.
The Luitpold Hall with the re-modelled façade during the NS era (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
Opening of the 1934 “Party Congress” in Luitpold Hall (Documentation Centre).
Between 1933 and 1935, the National Socialists re-modelled Luitpold Hall to a convention centre, exclusively used for their Party Rallies. Architect Albert Speer had the hall faced with shell lime slabs, in keeping with the style of other NS monumental buildings. In the hall’s interior, too, modern construction elements were covered up and decorated with NS symbols. The hall provided space for 16,000 people.
Destroyed Luitpold Hall, 1942 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
Meistersinger Hall, 1963 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg)
During an air raid in the night of 29 August, 1942, the Luitpold Hall was destroyed. After 1945, the City of Nuremberg did not have the hall reconstructed. In 1963, the “Meistersinger Hall” was built as a new concert and events venue on the northern perimeter of Luitpold Grove.