The “Rubble Express” taking rubble from the Old Town to the former Party Rally Grounds, 1950 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
After World War II, the gigantic excavation of the planned German Stadium served as a dump for the rubble collected in the destroyed Old Town. To transport the rubble from the Old Town, the city had a narrow-gauge railway track installed. After 1946, it was mainly the southern part of the horseshoe-shaped excavation which was filled in. Slowly, the deposits piled up forming a hill. This was later landscaped and made into a hill with a panorama, today named “Silberbuck”. This artificial hill must be seen as an area of dangerous waste: poisonous sulphur compounds seep into the adjacent “Silbersee” (Silver Lake), the northern part of the excavation for the German Stadium.