23. Former SS Barracks
Entrance portal of the “SS Barracks”, 1940 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
The SS barracks were built on the western outskirts of the Party Rally Grounds between 1936 and 1939, following a design by the architect, Franz Ruff. They were among the largest barracks buildings erected by the National Socialists. They were to be used as accommodation for SS units. The entire complex consisted of the central main building with a “Portal of Honour”, and two side wings, both built around a courtyard, as well as several additional buildings.
Inner courtyard of the SS barracks: visit by Chief of Police Martin during an exercise on 11 May, 1942 (Documentation Centre).
During World War II, the barracks served as a training venue for radio operators. The military building also became one of the outposts of the Dachau and Flossenbürg concentration camps. About 150 inmates were deported to the SS barracks and used for a variety of jobs – including work with companies and offices of the city administration.
Aerial view of the former “SS Barracks”, 2001 (Bischof & Broel, Nuremberg).
Merrell Barracks: US Roll call on 1 July, 1991. (Nürnberger Nachrichten).
On 18 April, 1945, the US Army captured and occupied the SS barracks. Until the end of 1946, they ran a DP camp here, housing several thousand people. After the camp was dissolved, the Army used the buildings until 1992, under the name of “Merrell Barracks”, as barracks for the soldiers of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment. Since 1996, the refurbished barracks have been the headquarters of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.