Jump to global Navigation
Nuremberg Kultur (Shortcut: 0)
Information about the Former Nazi Party Rally Grounds
1. Stations 2. Gallery

6. Municipal Stadium

Main grandstand of the municipal stadium, after 1928

Main grandstand of the municipal stadium, after 1928 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).

In the 1920s, the City of Nuremberg created an extensive sports and leisure park on the eastern bank of Dutzendteich lake lake. Alfred Hensel, director of the city‘s parks department, was responsible for the overall design for the park. For this, he was honoured with a gold medal in the Artistic Competition of Nations on the occasion of the IX. Olympic Games in Amsterdam in 1928.

The municipal stadium, designed by the architect Otto Ernst Schweizer, and built between 1926–1928 for 50,000 spectators, formed the focal point of the entire park. In those days, it was one of the most outstanding buildings of modern architecture.

Page Up

Day of the Hitler Youth in the municipal stadium, 1937

Day of the Hitler Youth in the municipal stadium, 1937 (Documentation Centre).

From 1933 to 1938, the National Socialists used the municipal stadium for their purposes. During the Party Rallies, it was the scene of march-pasts by the “Hitler Youth”. This made structural alterations necessary. The stadium entrances were enlarged, a “Führer platform” was added, as well as additional wooden stands with two towers opposite the main grandstand.

Page Up

The Stadion in 2005, with the Zeppelin Field in the background

The Stadion in 2005, with the Zeppelin Field in the background (Bischof & Broel, Nuremberg).

After 1945, the municipal stadium was refurbished several times. In 1963, additional reinforced concrete stands were erected. Between 1988 and 1991, the sports ground was extended, and for the 2006 Football World Cup, it was modernised to conform to the standards set by the FIFA World Football Association. The stadium, which is also suitable for track and field athletic events, holds 44,000 spectators.

<< Previous | Next >>

 

Page Up Print