15. Transformer building / Workers‘ accommodation
The transformer building for the power supply to the Party Rally Grounds (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
In 1936, architect Albert Speer built the transformer station in Regensburger Straße. It supplied the power for the Party Rally Grounds. The energy demands of lighting and the general running of the grounds was extremely high. The transformer station could handle the power supply for a major city.
Workers‘ accommodation in Regensburger Straße (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
In 1939 and 1940, the National Socialists had seven buildings in the style of Franconian half-timbered houses erected just a few hundred metres away from here. They served as accommodation for workers employed on the Party Rally Grounds. During World War II foreign workers and forced labourers as well as prisoners of war were housed here. Air raids destroyed some of the houses. Today, an old folks’ home and some charitable organisations are housed here.