9. Park Café Wanner
Boating on Dutzendteich lake lake with Park Café Wanner in the background (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
View of Park Café Wanner with lighthouse, 1911 (Stadtarchiv Nuremberg).
The Dutzendteich lake area has been a popular destina tion for outings since the 19th century. In place of an earlier inn, a hotelier had a park restaurant built here in 1899, which was later to become the Park Café Wanner. Since 1876, there had been public swimming baths on the northern bank of Dutzendteich lake lake. On the occasion of the 1906 Bavarian State Exhibition, a lighthouse was built on the opposite bank as an additional attraction.
Boat trip on Dutzendteich lake lake, with the Congress Hall building site and the wooden model of the façade in the background, around 1937 (Documentation Centre).
The National Socialists erected their monumental constructions for the Party Rallies, such as the Congress Hall, the Zeppelin Field, the Great Street and the Luitpold Arena, around Dutzendteich lake lake. This traditional leisure area was subsidiary to National Socialist plans. Thus the planners had the zoo, the public swimming baths and the Dutzendteich lake lighthouse (built in 1906) removed. The Park Café Wanner was destroyed in World War II.
Skaters near Zeppelin Grandstand, 1997 (Nürnberger Nachrichten).
Regatta on Dutzendteich lake lake, 2005 (Jutta Missbach).
After 1945, the City of Nuremberg re-established the grounds around Dutzendteich lake lake as a leisure and recreation area. Up until today, the entire area has served a wide variety of sports (football, ice hockey, motor sports, skating, water sports etc.). For a long time, there was no provision for dealing with the remainders of National Socialist power architecture, beyond the use for sports and leisure. Today, the Documentation Centre Party Rally Grounds provides information on the history of the Party Rallies.